Tanzania Public Procurement Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» HOW TO REGISTER A COMPANY FOR PPRA PROCUREMENTS
Council executive director against Chairperson of the council EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 9:13 pm by yohanaamon@yahoo.com

» Is non-submission of invalid CRB receipt voucher a major deviation?
Council executive director against Chairperson of the council EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 1:00 am by RJM

» MAKANDARASI KUWEKWA NDANI KWA KUTOKAMILISHA MIRADI NDANI YA MUDA
Council executive director against Chairperson of the council EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 12:46 am by RJM

» How Supplier can register in e-Procurement system (TANePS)
Council executive director against Chairperson of the council EmptyThu Dec 12, 2019 5:48 am by pms

» Kukosekana risiti ya ununuzi wa tenda
Council executive director against Chairperson of the council EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 6:05 pm by ALLY MUNIR

» IS IT TIME TO THINK OF DEACTIVATING TENDER BOARDS AND INTRODUCE A MECHANISM OF PROCUREMENT PROFESSIONAL OPINION?
Council executive director against Chairperson of the council EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 3:40 pm by pms

» e-Procurement System is now operational
Council executive director against Chairperson of the council EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm by Admin

» TENDA ZINAPOKOSA WAOMBAJI
Council executive director against Chairperson of the council EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 10:42 pm by thanksme

» Attendance of District Treasurer in Council Tender Board meetings
Council executive director against Chairperson of the council EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 8:57 pm by GWK

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Statistics
We have 1676 registered users
The newest registered user is esagile

Our users have posted a total of 1240 messages in 351 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 225 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:24 pm

Council executive director against Chairperson of the council

3 posters

Go down

Council executive director against Chairperson of the council Empty Re: Council executive director against Chairperson of the council

Post  RJM Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:20 pm

GadielCM and Mauka this is the case where SIASA SUPERSEDE PRINCIPLES.

No doubt that there is contradiction between the PPA 2004, Local Government GN 177 of 2007 and Local Government(Urban Authorities) Act. While PPA2004 stipulates that one of the functions of the AO is to sign contracts for the procurement activities on behalf of the procuring entity [S33(h)] other legislation say opposite. Definitely regulation cannot supersede the Act but the thorny issue here is two Acts conflicting each i.e. PPA 2004 and Local Government (Urban Authorities) Act. If my memories are correct I remember previously RSM asked in this forum what happen if two Acts are conflicting each - this was not discuss at all! I think we should start from here.

Second, to my knowledge the contract is signed by two parties and each party represented by duly authorized person with their witnesses. Even the Form of Agreement contained in the Form of Contract issued by PPRA is prepared that way - I do not how LGAs format their Forms of Agreement to accommodate two signatories [Chairman + DED] and how does this works.

Third. I case of sue and be sued who will represent the council in the court? In other words
who is "executive"?
RJM
RJM

Location : What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure

Back to top Go down

Council executive director against Chairperson of the council Empty Council executive director against Chairperson of the council

Post  GadielCM Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:51 pm

Mauka,
Let us define first who is the Accounting Officer and its responsibilities and powers in inclusion of Local Government Authorities application of procurement laws.

In my view, the Chairperson of the council or Vice chairperson to appear or to sign the contract is not an issue. It said to be the third party to witness the awarded contract like the same can be signed by AO and other second witness person e.g Legal Officer of the particular PE.From this point of view, there is no any problem about the chairperson to sign the contract and it remains that the AO/DED in the Local Authorities responsible for contract implementation and any disputes and the appropriate person to sign the contract in view of who is accounting officer remain to be Council Executive Director.

I submit

GadielCM

Back to top Go down

Council executive director against Chairperson of the council Empty Council executive director against Chairperson of the council

Post  mauka Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:23 pm

Dear forums members,

I got question here, basically this is another debatable issue and i got it from a friend of mine....As provided for under Section 33(h) of PPA,2004, the Accounting Officer in executing procurement process in the procuring entity is the one having the responsibility to sign contracts on behalf of the procuring entity.

However, Regulation 21(1)(i)&(2) of the Local Government Authorities’ Tender Boards (Establishment and Proceedings) Regulations, 2007 read together with Section 20(2)(3) of the Local Government (District Authorities) Act and Section 117(2) of the Local Government(Urban Authorities) Act, shows that in order for any contract or other document to be considered to have been duly executed by or on behalf of any Local Government Authority (Council) it must be signed by the Chairman or the Vice Chairman and by an officer of the authority duly authorized in that behalf by a resolution of the Council

MY concern is Between the Council Executive Director and Chairperson of the Council, who is the appropriate person to sign a contract on behalf of the Council?

mauka

Back to top Go down

Council executive director against Chairperson of the council Empty Re: Council executive director against Chairperson of the council

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down