Tanzania Public Procurement Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» HOW TO REGISTER A COMPANY FOR PPRA PROCUREMENTS
IMPORTED FURNITURE EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 9:13 pm by yohanaamon@yahoo.com

» Is non-submission of invalid CRB receipt voucher a major deviation?
IMPORTED FURNITURE EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 1:00 am by RJM

» MAKANDARASI KUWEKWA NDANI KWA KUTOKAMILISHA MIRADI NDANI YA MUDA
IMPORTED FURNITURE EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 12:46 am by RJM

» How Supplier can register in e-Procurement system (TANePS)
IMPORTED FURNITURE EmptyThu Dec 12, 2019 5:48 am by pms

» Kukosekana risiti ya ununuzi wa tenda
IMPORTED FURNITURE EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 6:05 pm by ALLY MUNIR

» IS IT TIME TO THINK OF DEACTIVATING TENDER BOARDS AND INTRODUCE A MECHANISM OF PROCUREMENT PROFESSIONAL OPINION?
IMPORTED FURNITURE EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 3:40 pm by pms

» e-Procurement System is now operational
IMPORTED FURNITURE EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm by Admin

» TENDA ZINAPOKOSA WAOMBAJI
IMPORTED FURNITURE EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 10:42 pm by thanksme

» Attendance of District Treasurer in Council Tender Board meetings
IMPORTED FURNITURE EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 8:57 pm by GWK

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Statistics
We have 1676 registered users
The newest registered user is esagile

Our users have posted a total of 1240 messages in 351 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 225 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:24 pm

IMPORTED FURNITURE

+4
ELLY KOMBE
kamajura
RJM
YOUR VIEWS
8 posters

Go down

IMPORTED FURNITURE Empty Re: IMPORTED FURNITURE

Post  dionis Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:28 pm

We have several challenges which pose some difficulties in giving proper description of the furniture. I think is high time for authority to reach beyond and collaborate with PMU's in PE's in establishing proper acceptable items should be used in the offices and to become area of auditing in order to emphasis the adoption of standard acceptable for furniture for offices. As currently we have office table almost 80% are made of MDF but few are made of hard wood like mninga in our offices or soft wood which I believe they are more durable than MDF tables. However in the market we have been popularity with imported goods and it has a real challenge in our choices of what we should buy?

Another confusing challenge is office chairs that I am not very sure of having good chairs made within our nation manufacture of the best and comfortable which will met PE’ requirements also we need to have a look on this.

Furthermore I am challenging other authority like TBS to issue guidelines for standards to public from time to time which will give consumer confidence certify the items of her choice from the market. As I believe a well informed consumer his likely to use or to acquire the best from market hence reduces the chances of business dealer to order goods of below standards and earn higher profit while customer remain economical loss and unsatisfied

dionis

Back to top Go down

IMPORTED FURNITURE Empty Imported Furniture

Post  Nicholas FD Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:35 pm

Hello,

In my view the issue here is do we get 'value for money' for that Imported furniture. the point is that do we have alternative to that that will comply the same in terms of quality, durability, timely delivery and that can save puporse to satisfaction of the user ? To my opinion if we have in country furnitures with similar attributes there is no need then. You might challenge the attribute of durability, use as intended will save the purpose. Let our industries be creative to cope with globalization and think of Environmental Friendly items 'copying is allowed' visit one tanzanian furniture shop at Mliman City you will appreciate.

I stand to be challenged.

Eng. Nicholas FD

Nicholas FD

Back to top Go down

Post  Aiko Fri May 27, 2011 11:14 pm

To my view the main issue here is not really the furniture being bought from outside the country, the main issue is the quality of these imported furniture as procured by PEs. In my experience these furniture especially the executive chairs do serve for a maximum of 1-1.5 years depending on the weight of the user. Which to me shows a sign that some quality feature/aspect may have not been closely followed.

@RSM,
If all furniture are to be made of wood then it is most likely that our forests will be depleted before we know it. But also as it stands now the implementation of the budget guide for 2010/11 on furniture has not been adhered to, may be there is more need to focus in ensuring this.

Aiko

Back to top Go down

Post  RSM Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:39 pm

Dear Forum Members

To quote RJM

IS THIS A HIGH TIME TO HAVE A “COUNTRY POLICY ON PROCUREMENT OF FURNITURE”.

I am not sure that this is a policy issue for furniture only - I think it is the issue of the use of local products and possibly - Buy Tanzanian Policy.

I understand that in the Budget Guidelines for F/Y 2010/11 PEs were directed not to order foreign furnitures. I have two questions:

(1) To what extent is that directive implemented?
(2) What would be the effect on the environment if all furniture ordered by PEs is to be made of wood

RSM

Back to top Go down

Post  RJM Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:03 pm

Kombe wrote:

To a larger extent the furniture are made of MDF at best and may be NOW just worn out wherever they are, to tell the truth.

Please attach the definition of MDF so that we can comprehend what those furniture are made of.

Kombe wrote:

“PROFESSIONALS SHOULD ENCOURAGE THEIR ENTITIES TO CONSIDER FURNITURE AS A CAPITAL EXPENDITURE AND LETS LEARN THE USE OF LIFE CYCLE COSTS TO GET THE BEST VALUE.”

These are very interest dimensions “Capital Expenditure” + “Life Cycle Costs” as far as Value for Money is concern. In this context one may define Life Cycle Costs [LCC] as the total discounted shilling cost of owning, operating, maintaining and disposing of furniture over a period of time. Capital expenditures are expenditures for creating future benefits. A capital expenditure is incurred when a business spends money either to buy fixed assets or to add to the value of an existing fixed asset with a useful life that extends beyond the taxable year [the free encyclopedia]. As you have cited the main problem with furniture procured by PEs is mostly centered in SPECIFICATIONS – uncoordinated specifications + not take into account Capital Expenditure as well as LCC.

Kombe as a stakeholder what should be done to alleviate this problem?

Kombe wrote:

MY THIRD PROBLEM IS WHY MANUFACTURERS OF LOCALLY MADE FURNITURE RARELY PARTICIPATE IN TENDERING FOR OFFICE OR EVEN CLASSROOM FURNITURE FOR PUBLIC OFFICES?

Could this be also contributed by the Specifications issued by PEs? The experience in the ground shows that even those Local Suppliers normal import those furniture supplied to PEs.

IS THIS A HIGH TIME TO HAVE A “COUNTRY POLICY ON PROCUREMENT OF FURNITURE”.

Can we get VALUE FOR MONEY without standardization?
RJM
RJM

Location : What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure

Back to top Go down

IMPORTED FURNITURE Empty PROCUREMENT OF FURNITURE

Post  ELLY KOMBE Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:35 am

Having witnessed the procurement of furniture worth billions by Ministries Departments and Executive Agencies for the past 6 years,and all these being large and by Public Service Reform Programme funds-simply DONOR FUNDS, it is unfortunate to note two or three interesting issues:
Most of the procured furniture were imported from MALAYSIA OR CHINA
To a larger extent the furniture are made of MDF at best and may be NOW just worn out wherever they are, to tell the truth.
The above is the hard reality and the financial implications versus value for money doesnt need any sound researcher!
THERE ARE TWO SIDES TO THE PROBLEM AS FAR AS I THINK
WHO VETS THE SPECIFICATIONS FOR FURNITURE?WHY DO WE HAVE SOME INSTITUTIONS MANDATED TO ISSUE SPECS FOR ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND MOTOR VEHICLES AND MACHINES BUT WE DONT AS A GOVERNMENT A MANDATED INSTITUTION TO MANAGE THE SPECIFICATIONS FOR FURNITURE?
WHILE THE ABOVE MAY SOUND AS A GOOD ALIBI FOR PROCUREMENT OF WHAT MY CEO CALLS DISPOSABLE FURNITURE, PROFESSIONALS SHOULD ENCOURAGE THEIR ENTITIES TO CONSIDER FURNITURE AS A CAPITAL EXPENDITURE AND LETS LEARN THE USE OF LIFE CYCLE COSTS TO GET THE BEST VALUE
MY THIRD PROBLEM IS WHY MANUFACTURERS OF LOCALLY MADE FURNITURE RARELY PARTICIPATE IN TENDERING FOR OFFICE OR EVEN CLASSROOM FURNITUURE FOR PUBLIC OFFICES?

ELLY KOMBE

Back to top Go down

Post  kamajura Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:40 pm

RJM,
As you righly put, when specifying, your main intention is to communicate to the potential bidders what you need to be supplied in order to meet you intended purposes. Again one reason of specifying is to draw criteria against which inspection should be conducted. Now if you draw a specification and it lands on furniture which needs replacement after months, is there any good need of maintaining the same kind of specs?

Kamajura

kamajura

Back to top Go down

Post  RJM Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:15 pm

YOUR VIEWS, I need to be educated in this issue before bring value for money in the mix. When procuring entities want to procure furniture, do they say they need imported furniture or they just specify what kind of furniture to be supplied suit their intended purpose in the tender documents [specification section]?
RJM
RJM

Location : What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure

Back to top Go down

IMPORTED FURNITURE Empty IMPORTED FURNITURE

Post  YOUR VIEWS Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Of late, our entities have been importing furniture. Are we really getting value for such imports?

YOUR VIEWS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum